Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cigarette #1: Do you look for hope in other people's eyes? That may be your worst redemption.

On the front porch, 10:15am
MUSIC: "Metal Heart," Cat Power
Losing the stars in the sky, losing the reasons why, losing the calling you've been faking, and I'm not kidding.
Sew your fortunes on a string and hold them up to the light, blue smoke will take a very violent flight,
And you will be changed and everything, and you will be in a very sad, sad zoo.
I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.
How selfish of you to believe in the meaning of all this bad dreaming.

If I am ever called in front of a tribunal of the Sisterhood, I will have a lot to answer for. I have said in my life all of the following anti-feminist things:

There is such a thing as femininity, and women should conform themselves to it.

Aggression is not feminine.

There is no difference between saying "A woman can ignore
the feminine thing to do when she really wants to" and saying "The concept of gender should be completely eliminated." If femininity does not compel and limit women, if femininity does not stop any woman anywhere from doing something she would otherwise do, then it is not a useful concept for us to talk about.

If there are as many female chairmen of the Pythagorean Brotherhood as male ones, then the Pythagorean Brotherhood is doing something wrong.


This is why I was so happy that, as I listened to Cat Power this morning, I found myself thinking: "No man could ever be this miserable."

No comments:

Post a Comment