Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Risotto with Meatballs and Not-So-Great Pumpkin

The grocery store had two kinds of pumpkin: with jack-o-lantern face painted on, and without. I got one without, but even those were stocked next to bouquets of flowers on one side and candles on the other, which raises the question of whether the pumpkins were being sold as food or as decoration. "What the hell, I'm not going to die from eating a decorative pumpkin" was my ultimate conclusion. "And if I do, it'll be a medical mystery for everyone at the hospital. They can send my story to the guys who write House."

The recipe I used is here, though I threw in some unscripted cinnamon sticks, as you can see. (It was a good decision.) The only problem was that I overcooked the rice -- it devolved into mush, whereas if I'd taken it off the heat a little sooner, you'd be able to tell one grain from another. If anyone knows the secret of timing your risotto, don't be shy.

No comments:

Post a Comment