Wednesday, October 12, 2011

UO To Go Tobacco-free In 2012

Starting in fall 2012, smoking cigarettes will be banned on all University of Oregon property - including areas used by tailgaters outside Duck football games at Autzen Stadium.

Under the new smoke-free campus policy, smokers will literally have to leave campus to smoke cigarettes a cigarette. The exact boundaries of the ban - and any penalties for violating the ban - have not yet been determined.

"With tighter cheap cigarette online control policy, that more people do quit and less people start, and that's an advantage to everybody," said Paula Staight with the UO Health Center, "And we know the majority of people do want to quit."

Students and staff will have free access to gum and patches to help quit. Will it work?

"I don't think it helps much honestly, because anybody who smokes will just walk off campus," said freshman Chris Richter.

Junior Wes Crosswhite smokes five to 10 cheap cigarettes a day. A campus rule isn't going to make him give it up.

"I don't want to right away," he said, "so it's not fair to me. It will really suck, because U of O is a big campus. I'll have to smoke cigarettes 15 minutes that way or 10 minutes that way before I can go to class. And in between classes I won't get any smoking cigarettes time, either."

That means the hustle and bustle of campus will be smoke-free.

"I feel great about that," said Jojoe Nujoy, a UO grad student. "It's just really annoying when the smoke cigarettes is blowing in your face."

"I don't mind if people are doing it in designated areas," said freshman Kim Ames, "but when i'm walking, I don't want to smell it."

No comments:

Post a Comment