Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Marxism Round-Up

David has gone to the source, Savage Minds wonders whether it makes sense for Indiana Jones to be a fan of Marxist archaeology (I mean, I'm a "die-hard anticommunist" and there are still some Marxists I like), and James has Yale Leftists and Leftist-symps all aflutter by promising to explain "the internet as a brilliant postmodern Marxist social welfare program."

Marxism is fun (and I don't just mean for target practice), but all would do well to remember Noah's very sage maxim:
As with all Marx, you must run far far away from anything he actually concludes. But as the raw materials for your own thinking, so wonderful.

Marx is like flour. You can't eat it raw. That would taste bad and be very messy. On the other hand, you can make cupcakes with it. Also, this sometimes happens with Marx.
For myself, I'm certain that false consciousness theory has a lot to say about the present controversy over low art, pedagogy, and cock-fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment