Saturday, March 5, 2011

"Gossip Girl" Star’s Smoking Habit Ignites Criticism

Taylor Momsen

‘Gossip Girl’ star Taylor Momsen is getting chastised for being a bad influence on her teenage fans.

The 16-year-old actress, who plays Dan’s little sis Jenny Humphrey on the hit CW series, was recently snapped with a lit cigarette in her mouth, and wearing a barely there miniskirt.

The photo fanned the flames of criticism, with some suggesting that she’s just a little too risqué for her age – and a bad example to her young fans.

“She really has an extra responsibility to bear as an actress idolized by little girls out there,” said the director of the Foundation for a Smoke-Free American. For her to be smoking sends the wrong message to kids. Evidence shows that stars do influence kids to smoke.”

Not that Momsen cares about what any of the naysayers think, of course.

The blond starlet told the UK Times that she could give two cigarette butts about the criticism, which also sometimes focuses on her seductive outfits and a fashion sense that seems more fitting for 45-year-old rock star Courtney Love than the 16-year-old teen star of a television series.

“To be honest, I don’t f–king care. I didn’t get into this to be a role model,” she said. “So I’m sorry if I’m influencing your kids in a way that you don’t like, but I can’t be responsible for their actions. I don’t care.”

What does Momsen think about other more wholesome stars her age? Turns out not much. She specifically had choice words for the ‘Hannah Montana‘ show, which she coincidentally auditioned for but ultimately lost the lead role to Miley Cyrus.

“Honestly, if I’d have ended up as Hannah Montana, I don’t know if the show would have gone as well. I probably would have told them all to go f–k themselves by the time I hit 11,” she said. “And I don’t know how that would have gone down. It’s great for Miley, but I really like where I am right now and I feel really fortunate to be able to really be myself.”

Momsen is currently busy with her series and her rock band, Pretty Reckless, which is signed to Interscope Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment