Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bookbag: The Gentleman from New York, a Biography of Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"Ljubljana is lovely, and incredibly prosperous," he wrote home to a secretary from the conference, though the meeting was "incredibly disorganized and wasteful of time and energy, but it is, I think, worth it to me." To the worldly and sardonic Dick Goodwin, he cabled a summary of the conference, saying, "I have seen the Austro-Hungarian empire, and it works."
That last line is as good as his well-known take on the Kennedy assassination ("I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually").

I know that, as a conservative, I am supposed to believe in every man's right to his own tribal loyalties, but I think people should give serious consideration to the possibility that the Irish have unmediated access to truth. Maybe they're just right and the rest of us need to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment