Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"I don't know what happened in your life that caused you to develop humor as a coping mechanism, maybe some sort of brace or corrective boot..."

This post about young women and body image brings to mind that golden oldie, "Women aren't funny." (It mentions Margaret Cho as an example of a girl who was always told that she was ugly.) Un-feminist that I am, I still can't endorse that statement because I don't think it's true, but I do think that pretty women aren't funny because they've never had to work to get people to like them. As Joan Rivers said, "There is not one female comic who was beautiful as a little girl."

Jezebel (a site for which I have a secret love based almost entirely on this post and the attitude behind it) had a post up a while back on how most women have a moment in middle or high school when they situate themselves permanently as either One of the Pretty Girls or not, and I put forward that there's something to be said for the latter.

Seriously, What Would Joan Holloway Do is a fantastic site. "Men like it when you smoke their brand. It makes them feel like you have something in common. Nothing is steamier than red gloss wrapped around your man’s favorite smoke. But when out with girls always smoke Pall Malls; Marlboros are for tramps."

No comments:

Post a Comment