Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Overheard at the flophouse; what's comin' down the pike blog-wise

From a blog-less housemate (about someone who isn't me):
"You smell like a cheap motel. I want to go swim in a pool now."
Further proof that second-hand smoke is very, very dangerous.

While we're quote-dumping (and the misogyny ones aren't even me):
"You are the wind beneath my liver.”

“My misogyny is just a subset of my misanthropy.”

“That’s not misogyny, that’s appreciating 1950’s gender roles in a classic film sense.”

“I’ve been called a fascist by leftists since I was a small child.”
And my favorite:
“A lot of my teachers in high school were Catholic, so they had fewer personal problems than other people.”
Posting resumes today. Topics include: why no heads blog like UN expert Matthew Lee blogs heads; Jennifer Roback Morse's 1986 thirty-page pamphlet on Fair Pay; Rainer Werner Fassbinder; Matthew Lee again, this time as a novelist; and Mesopotamian religion in late antiquity, because someone else brought it up in the context of whether state sponsorship of religion is a good idea. Will my preoccupation with the Sasanians ever be so topical again? Probably not, so I'd better do it up right.

UPDATE: Via HND, the following challenge: "The question I've been rolling around in my head all week is: How do real and imaginary geographies interact in the movies?" I want a piece, but until then I recommend this post on imagined New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment